Wednesday, December 11, 2013

DIY Crochet Snow Lantern

WP_20131202_044

WP_20131202_036

We live in an apartment so we don’t have a yard, just a balcony. So, I had this amazing (in my opinion, of course) idea that I’d make a snow lantern, like the once we used to make when we were little, only instead of snow I’d use yarn and polyfill and then I could keep it inside! Using a led light of course, this thing would catch fire like nobody’s business.

WP_20131202_031

Crocheting the balls was the fun part, just make a basic amigurumi ball in the size you want. Trying to assemble it or even trying to pile it for a second, so I could see how it was coming together and estimate how many more I still needed to make, was the part where the balls kept rolling on every direction and I lost my temper. Whew. But I managed it! And I think it looks so nice. I like how it is minimalistic and even quite sophisticated as far as Christmas decorations go, but also cosy and fun. I can see myself pulling this out every winter for next 50 years, without it looking tacky.

WP_20131202_032

I sewed all the balls together, and it is really sturdy. I could throw it across the room and not do it any damage. But if I were to do it again… I’d use a glue gun. And just try to control my throwing impulses. Also, I love crocheting, but definitely the easier route would have been just wrapping Styrofoam balls with yarn and gluing them together. Ah well, all that ends well!

WP_20131202_014

2 comments:

  1. Valoa pimeyteen, aikas hauska idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kiitos! Se on nätimpi livenä, varsinkin pimeellä, mutta oli vaikee ottaa kuvaa.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...